Was anyone else saying “what the hail?” yesterday? Yikes. Fingers crossed for some more of that elusive sunshine this week. And once the sunny skies come back, it’s time to enjoy the outdoor dining in the area. Check out my lowdown on cool places in the Midcoast to go for outdoor drinks & dining.
In other news, I was feeling pretty confident because I knew immediately why May 4th was a significant day. May the Fourth be with you and all that. Luke at it this way, I’m a bit of Star Wars fan. Don’t take a Jabba at me, but I’m actually fairly excited for Episode 7. Leia off. But now with Cinco de Mayo, well, don’t have a Fett or anything, but I have a confession to make. I didn’t know what Cinco de Mayo is celebrating. Had to google it. And then I found this and I feel a little better, haha. At least I’m not alone.
OK, gettin’ down to business. Here are all the cool things to do in Midcoast Maine this week:
Monday, May 5 – Cinco de Mayo
- Open Mic Night at Fog Bar & Cafe starts at 8 p.m.
- Trivia Night at Rock Harbor Pub & Brewery at 7 p.m. & Mug night.
- Monday Night Blues at Time Out Pub, 7-10 p.m. This week’s band is Mississippi Heat! Cost: $15. $5 Margaritas and $1 tacos. Also downstairs has free pool 6pm – close. & $1 PBRs 6pm on!!
- Trackside Station has Cinco de Mayo drink specials.
- Mexican Monday at Smokestack – $2 Tacos, $3 Coronas $4 Margaritas
- Cinco de Mayo at Blue Sky Cantina – give-aways, gift certificates, t-shirts, beer bling (whatever that is), every hour. Also – $2 tequila shots, $2 drafts. Specials are Crab Quesadillas, Swordfish Tacos, Chile Rellenos! Open 4-9 on Monday. Call 217-7673 for reservations.
aturday & Sunday. Remember they do Happy Hour 4-6pm M-F, $2 drafts, $4 ritas
- Newcastle Publick House has some Cinco de Mayo festivities for you as well –
- La Vida in Belfast has all kinds of specials for Cinco de Mayo weekend. 5 course dinner tonight for 19.99. Jalepeno popper challenge – eat all 5 and win a t-shirt. Drinks specials. Happy Hour is 2:30-5:30 today, so $3 food & cocktails. They say they’ve got “Prizes, food & cocktail samples, Limbo in the Lounge, hats, lei’s, fun, Margaritas!”
- If you’re up for a little drive, Dave Gutter (From The Rustic Overtones)has a Solo Show at Slates in Hallowell. 8pm. $15.For tix call 622-9575.
- Front Street Pub Belfast – Happy Hour 2:30-5:30, Free Pool today today and $5 strawberry margaritas.
- Trackside says: “Enjoy a house margarita on the rocks or a Corona for just $3 – or have a Bud Light Lime-A-Rita or Mang-O Rita for just $2!”
- Myrtle’s got drink specials.
- Rollie’s does too. They even have limes they say. Lol. Did you hear about the lime shortage? Craziness. Rollie’s also has $1 sliders on Mondays.
- Community Discussion on Standards-Based Education, 7-8 p.m., Camden Hills Regional High School’s Lecture Hall. Assistant Superintendent Maria Libby and former Maine Commissioner of Education Steve Bowen co-host the public meeting (both are my former middle school teachers 🙂 ). This is a hot topic. It’s definitely worth checking out.
- Cinco de Meow Meals. A portion of proceeds from meals served May 5 at Fog Bar & Café in Rockland and Marriner’s Grill in Camden benefit P.A.W.S. Animal Adoption Center.
Tuesday, May 6
- At 7 p.m.,there will be a free screening of the documentary film The Hungry Heart at The Colonial Theatre in Belfast. I really encourage folks to go see this because Drug Addiction is a serious issue in our area, our country, everywhere. This is a great opportunity to learn more about how it impacts the individual and the community.
- Open Mic Night at Rock Harbor Pub & Brewery starts at 8:30 p.m.
- 2 for Tuesdays at T.O.P. – 2 Well drinks for price of one until 6pm.
- Archer’s on The Pier: Tuesday & Thursday buy 1 get 1 1/2 off entrees.
- Rollie’s $1 Tacos
- Delvino’s (Belfast) does 2 for Tuesday! Appetizer, salads, bread, pasta entrees, & dessert for 2 people! $19.99 for lunch, $29.99 for dinner. Yum!
- Tuesday means tacos at 3Crow. $2 Tacos. All different kinds of delicious varieties. All day.
- Cinco de Meow Meals, at local restaurants. Portion of proceeds from meals served will go to P.A.W.S. Animal Adoption Center. Participating restaurants: Boynton-McKay Food Co., Cappy’s Chowder House, Comida Latin Kitchen and Waterfront Restaurant. In Rockport, Blue Sky Cantina and Offshore Restaurant will donate. In Rockland, Café Miranda, Park Street Grille and Suzuki’s Sushi Bar will donate. So go make a reservation right meow. Call up Ma & Paw and take ’em out too. It’s fur a great cause!
- Open Mic Night at Bell the Cat, Belfast.
- Lunch Beat Belfast at Waterfall Arts. Music & Food at noon. Cost: $10 at door.
- Maine Women’s Network hosts Talk on Bringing Joy into Life @ Landings 5:15pm. Cost $25M/$30NM.
- Damariscotta Business After Hours 5-7pm.
Wednesday, May 7
- Penobscot Bay Film Series is screening A Sea Change on Wednesday at 6 p.m. at the Belfast Free Library.
- The Camden International Film Festival (CIFF) is screening the award-winning documentary DamNation at the Camden Opera House on at 7 pm. Cost $10.
- All you can eat Spaghetti night at Rockland Cafe! I know you’ve been cravin’ it the pasta few days. Say Pasta La Vista to your gluten free diet already!
- Trivia @ The Badger. 7 p.m. Cost: $2 to play. last night of Trivia for the season.
- Rollie’s 3 for 1 chicken nuggets.
- Discount movie tickets to shows at The Colonial in Belfast on Sundays & Wednesdays, $5.
- Smokestack has 50 Cent Boneless or Bone-In Wings All Day!
- Eric green is playing at Bowen’s Tavern at 7pm no cover.
Thursday, May 1
- Free screening of the 2012 documentary “Chasing Ice” at the Lincoln Theater in Damariscotta, 7 pm.
- Singer-songwriter Jay Farrar is coming to The Strand Theatre in Rockland! Yes, the Jay Farrar of Von Solt & Uncle Tupelo. I dig this because I went through an alt-country/Americana phase. Ok, I’m still in that phase. Farrar is playing his own alt-country style. It’s mellow, beautiful. If you like Dawes, Monsters of Folk, Avett Brothers, Ryan Adams, M. Ward, etc. than this is the show for you. Rockland can be a cool hip place with alt-rock hipsters who listen to Old 97s, Whiskeytown, Felice Brothers, Wilco, Golden Smog, et al., coming together for this show. If that’s not your scene, don’t be scared off by all the alt-country name dropping. Farrar’s solo music has country sounding lead guitar riffs with indie-pop/catchy rhythms & vocals very in line with Death Cab for Cutie. He’s even recorded with Ben Gibbard (of Death Cab) I also had an indie phase back in high school; I have an autographed Death Cab CD. What do you even do with autographed stuff though? I’m starting to grow a collection. Annnyway, Peter Bruntnell is the opener. It’s going to be fabulous. Show starts at 7:30. Tickets are $20, rocklandstrand.com or call 594-0070.
- Twisted Strings, fiddle & guitar duo with Celtic influences will be playing music for contra dancing on Thursday, 7:30 – 10 p.m. at the historic Thomaston Academy on Main Street in Thomaston. Maggie Robinson will call. Dancing lesson at 7 p.m. for beginners. Cost: $15. FMI, visit georgesriver.org.
- Joanne Parent & David Clarke at The Speakeasy, 7-10pm.
- Live Music and Half Price Bottles of Wine at Montsweag Roadhouse.
- Archer’s on The Pier: Tuesday & Thursday buy 1 get 1 1/2 off entrees.
- Ken Bonfield playing guitar, harp, and more at Rockland Public Library, free, 6 p.m.
- Celtic Band Jam on Thursdays at Bell the Cat in Belfast.
- Smokestack has Locals Day! $1 PBR’s, $2 Off Burgers and Sandwiches. Start with dinner and a few $1 pibbers and then head over to:
- Karaoke at Cuzzys!
- Open Mic @ Highlands! 6:30-9:30pm. Get there wicked early to sign up to play!
- In Good Company Food Journey is Greek/Kokkuri. $30 per person. Call for reservations.
Top picks for what’s coming up this weekend:
Dancing with the local stars at Camden Opera House Friday night. Get your tickets now! It sells out. Friday May 9, 7pm.
Just Teachers 8-11pm Saturday at The Speakeasy. Cost: $5. This is a really fun show. Lots of cover songs you can dance to.
I will update this post with more stuff throughout the week, so be sure to check back for new additions. And I will add the weekend stuff when it’s ready (usually Wednesday night). You can also find my weekend listings on Pen Bay Pilot! Thanks for reading.