Oh man, Midcoast, you’re killing me. I hate having to pick between all the cool different events going on at the same time. Kentucky Derby Party? Wine Tasting? Live music? Halfway to Halloween Party? What’s a girl to do!? Oh, who cares, so long as I’ve got good pals and a cold drink, I’m happy. Ok, also the dressing up thing. I’m deeeffffinitely down to don a Derby hat and enjoy a Mint Julep. But if deciding what to do is just too much pressure, and you feel like running off and hiding in the woods, don’t worry, you can do that! It’s Clean Up Weekend at Mic Mac Campground, so there is FREE Camping May 2nd-4th. Just bring a rake, shovel, work clothes, etc. And you even get a Spaghetti Dinner Saturday night. Call for reservations!
Friday, May 2
- Start your night right!! Art Walk Rockland is back!! Here’s the list of galleries that participate. My suggestion – hit Harbor Square gallery so you can go up to the roof and have a cool view of Rockland Main St. Also, some anticipation – Jonathon Frost Gallery has moved to a new Park St location, next to Park Street Grill. He’s not open yet, but plans to be by Memorial Day weekend. All the other galleries will be open to showcase artwork. They’ll have wine & snackies. It’s a lot of fun to go meet folks, mingle, get to see all the fabulous art we have in the area. My favorite is Eric Hopkins. But that’s just me. Anyway, it’s all free, so no excuse, come have some fun on Main St. this Friday! 5-8 p.m.
- Music by Junior Brown at The Strand Theatre, Rockland starting at 7:30 p.m. $20. Rockin’ country music.
- Dead River Company is throwing at Community Open House. Giveaways. Free BBQ. Just bring a non-perishable food item donation to food pantry. 10a.m. -2 p.m.
- Karaoke at The Myrtle St. Tavern! Starts at 9 p.m., 21+.
- Notorious plays at Flying Shoes Contra Dance at American Legion Hall, Belfast. They’ve got a fiddle, a guitar, a caller, they just need you to come dance! 6:30 p.m. Community dance, $2. 8 p.m. Contra Dance $10 adults.
- Camden High School has A Night of Improv! Three course meal with the show, Fri & Sat this weekend and May 9 & 10. Cost: $15. They forgot to write what time it starts, see, I’m glad it’s not just me who makes mistakes. Call CHRHS for reservations.
- Yappy Hour at In Good Company 4:30-6 p.m.
- All Play Bowling Alley in Waldoboro has galactic bowling 7-11 p.m. on Fridays. It costs $10 per person to bowl as many times as you like and your shoe rental is included in the price. And, if you make a reservation in advance, parties of 4 get a FREE pizza! Yay freebies!! Oh, and they have 3 pool tables, arcades, food and yes, they have beer. Have fun!
- Food & Farm Film Fest at F.A.R.M.S. Community Kitchen above Rising Tide in Damariscotta. More info here. 7pm. This week’s documentary is the next section of Weight of the Nation (click link for trailer).
- Open Mic at the Time Out downstairs.
- $2 Pistol at The Speakeasy, 8-11 p.m. Classic rock favorites.
- Sogno Salon has Men’s Night, 5-7:30 p.m. You don’t even need an appointment, just walk-in. Great Haircuts, get pampered and then enjoy beers and wings.
- Oversoul is playing at Bowen’s Tavern starting at 9 p.m. $5 cover, 21+. Rock n roll.
- Raised by Wolves with Vincent Gabriel is playing 7-8:30 at Highlands Coffeehouse in Thomaston. Gallery opening as well.
- Trackside is doing a keep the glass thang. So order one of these schnazzy Angry Orchard drinks and keep the glass. Yum. I could really go for an orchard right now.
- Tomorrow Morning at Rock Harbor 8 p.m. Pop-rock/reggae. These guys are a blast! Give them a listen.
Saturday, May 4 Kentucky derby starts at 6:20pm
- Smokestack in Camden is having a Kentucky Derby party. Music, Dancing, Prizes! Kentucky Derby Hat contest. Festive drink specials:
$7 Mint Juleps $7 Secretariat, Jim Beam and Ginger Ale $6 Whiskey Sour $6 Raspberry Racing Tea, Vodka and Raspberry Ice Tea $5 Well Whiskey Shots $2 Jello Shots
- A bourbon tasting will be held 3-6pm Saturday at Rollie’s in Belfast.
- “Off to the Races” Kentucky Derby Party & Auction to benefit Children’s House Montessori. Event will be at Union Hall in Rockport, above Salt Water Farm Saturday, 5-8:30 p.m. Derby will be on the big screen, outrageous hats, appetizers, live music, cash bar, and live auction & silent auction online. $20 advance tix, $30 for couple, $25 per person at the door. call 236-2911 FMI.
- Kentucky Derby Party at The Enoteca Lounge at The Samoset! Fundraiser for Northstar Horse Rescue. Wear a sweet hat. Cash bar. Event will actually start at 4 p.m. Event organizer said they mixed up the times, but you’re welcome to come early and sit on the patio and hang out, or come at 4 p.m., it’s all good. I guess we are all a little excited to celebrate this weekend!
- Show off your big hat and watch the Kentucky Derby at Lincoln Theatre free!
- HALFWAY TO HALLOWEEN COSTUME PARTY at Rock Harbz. Come in costume (maybe bust out a big ol’ fancy Derby hat), and get ready to dance. There will be music by DJ Heath Commeau. Prizes awarded to the top three costumes. “DRINKO DE MAYO” drink specials! Here are some pics I found from when I dressed up for Halloween two years ago and won a different costume contest. Can you guess who I’m dressed as? I could go as her post her shopping makeover, would be a good fit for the derby. You know, the brown polka dot dress & the big hat? Anywho Dance party starts at 9 p.m. See ya there!
- The Speakeasy has Eric Green Party 8-11 p.m.
- Drive by Todd will be playing live music at Rock City Café 5-7 p.m., free.
- DJ at TOP upstairs. No Cover, 21+.
- TOP downstairs has Karaoke at 8 p.m.!
- Live music at Myrtle St. Tavern. $3 cover, 21+. The band is 43 North. They play new country, it’s a bluesy and very danceable!
- Wine tasting at Wine Seller in Rockland is Sat. May 3rd, from 3:30 to 6, and they’ll have a winemaker there and nice selection of wines.
- Octavia playing at Bowen’s Tavern Saturday night, 9 p.m. $5 cover, 21+.
- “Married with Chitlins” is playing 6-9 p.m. at 27 Pub & Grill, Wiscasset (which, mind you – silly tourists, – is not pronounced Wis-cassette).
- Another Wine Tasting!! Rayr has a tasting Saturday 4-6pm.
- Hatchet Mountain Publick House has the Kentucky Derby festivities. Get there with plenty of time before it starts at 6pm so you can pick a horse! They’ll have drink specials, and other fun stuff, like you can win a meal if your horse wins the race.
- Cinco de Mayo all weekend at Blue Sky Cantina – give-aways, gift certificates, t-shirts, beer bling (whatever that is), every hour Saturday & Sunday. They’re open 11-3 now and you can sit outside on the patio. If you’re looking for where else to enjoy food & drink on a patio this summer, check out the rad list I made here.
- Newcastle Publick House has som Cinco de Mayo festivities for you as well –
- La Vida in Belfast has all kinds of specials for Cinco de Mayo weekend. 5 course dinner tonight for 19.99. Jalepeno popper challenge – eat all 5 and win a t-shirt. Drinks specials.
- Musicians Sylvia Tavares and Jamie Peghiny tonight 6-8pm at Savory Maine Damariscotta.
Sunday, May 5
- Drink Specials at Trackside:
- Drink & Draw at The FOG starts at 7 p.m. Art materials supplied. Happy Hour prices for drinks and things.
- $.50 Wings at Rollie’s.
- Sunday Night Salsa, Sundays, 7-8:30 p.m., Studio RED, 143 Rankin St., Rockland. Some lessons to get ya started. Beginners welcome. FMI: 593-7914
- Live music at Archer’s noon-3pm.
- King Eider’s Pub – Bloodys, Mimosas and Music, Music 1-3pm—Steve Jones, Scott Elliot and Paul Mellyn
- Belfast Bay Fiddlers do an open jam session every Sunday night at Waterfall Arts Belfast, 6-8pm. Open to all instruments and playing ability at. Anyone can go join to play or just to listen. FMI: 338-4245\
- Jazz Jam featuring the Mike Whitehead Group at Highlands Coffeehouse in Thomaston 1-3 p.m.
- Did you know Our Town Belfast is filming their own version of Pharrell Williams’ “Happy.” Here’s the music video:
So Belfast is making their own version. Go help out! Go join in the fun!