Jsyk this blog and I are mfeo imo. No, that wasn’t a typo. That was me realizing how out of touch I am with the hip lingo going around. How did that happen!? Oh, well. At least I’m up on what’s happening in town! I can’t keep up with everything, now can I? So, I’ll share what I know (and then maybe someone will teach me how to use twitter… please?)
Before we get to what’s up this week, here’s a chance for you all to share what you know. Hope we have some opinionated folk out there. Help Down East Magazine determine the Best of Maine. Vote here.
And here’s the lowdown for this week:
Hope you got your March Madness brackets all squared away! FYI For all you March Madness folks, Waterworks has specials during the college basketball tournaments: $2.00 Bud Light and Budweiser drafts & bucket of beer specials! Yay sports!
Friday, March 21
- Monthly wine and beer tasting at Rockland Food Service is today from 4-6pm! They are doing Gritty’s. I was hoping they’d have Allagash’s new Saosin. They have it, just not to sample. But make sure you go to 3Crow’s Allagash night next week. More info here.
- Open Mic Night at Time Out Pub Downstairs. 21+ No cover.
- In Good Company has Yappie Hour today. 4:30 – 6:30pm
- Karaoke at Myrtle St. Tavern 9pm on. 21+ No cover. Come have some fun at the Myrt!!
- Trivia Night at Trackside Station! This is fun! It was a buck per person to play before. Go grab dinner and drinks while you test your knowledge! 7-9 p.m. Ages 21 plus after 9 p.m. Good way to start the evening. Grab dinner & drinks and some smart pals and have a blast! Then stick around for Bruins game at 9 p.m.
- Live folk music @ The Narrows. It’s Rose Sheehan and John Hicks. Give ’em a listen on ReverbNation.
- DaPonte Strong Quartet @ Lincoln Theatre at 7:30pm
- STICK & PUCK Skating at MRC 3:20-5:20PM – You have to have hockey gear on.
- Tomorrow Morning at Rock Harbor. Pop, rock, & some reggae. I can definitely jam to these guys. In fact, I have before. It’s a fun time. Their sound is like a more poppy Sublime or a more rockin’ Jack Johnson. The video is a bit rough, but check them out on ReverbNation to give them a proper listen.
- Pitch Black Ribbons (PBR!) at Monstweag Roadhouse 6-9 p.m. I like these guys. Got some country/bluesy/rock for ya. Give them a listen on Reverbnation. Then go see them at the bah. Then get some Pee-Bee-Ahh!
- Poetry Jam at Bell The Cat. 7 p.m. It’s Women’s Day and Women’s History Month so bring your favorite female poet’s work. I call Edna St. Vincent Millay!
- DJ VJ at Trackside & it’s a Black Light Koozie Party. Be warned. Remember all those times you show up and you’re like, oh, gee, if I’d known it was a black light party I’d have worn something cooler with like a neat pattern in white or something. Yeah, well, now you know in advance, so go find something cool to wear with white so you will glow! Oh, yeah and they will have Bud Light promo giveaways so go get yourself a Koozie. Ages 21 plus.
- DJ at Smokestack starts around 9pm.
- 3Crow has Allagash’s new release on tap! The wait is over. Go give Allagash’s Saison a try!
- Wayne Delano Quartet at The Speakeasy 7-10. Very cool jazz music. These boys know what’s up. Not to ruin the surprise for you, but I’ve seen Wayne play both the saxophone and the clarinet – at the same time!
Saturday, March 22
- Camden Library has a book sale is on Saturday 9 – 5 p.m. and Sunday hours are 1 – 4:30 p.m. Honestly, I get most of my books at these things. Most books go for $2. You know I love my bargains. Rockland Library is having a booksale too! 10-1pm
- Ocean State Job Lot Grand Opening Celebration where the old Walmart was in Rockland. Well, that was fast. I hadn’t even adjusted to Wally World moving out and it feels like mom’s already got a new boyfriend and his name is Job Lot…. Oh well, free stuff is cool.
- Cinnamon at the Myrt. 9 p.m. $3 cover.
- DJ at Time Out Pub upstairs starts at 9 p.m. Karaoke starts at 7:30 p.m., downstairs. Also, TOP has a pool tourney at 2pm with cash prizes, drink specials, and snacks.
- “Out Here: Queer Farmer Film Project” brought to us by OUT! As I Want to Be (local youth LGTBQA group). At First Unitarian Universalist Church in Rocko. 7-9pm. Film Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFDc_3e9B5I
- Old Blues Kats at The Speakeasy 8-11 p.m.
- Bowen’s Tavern has live music by Livewire! Gonna be a great show. Show starts at 9 p.m. $ 5 cover 21 and over.
- YOUNGWOODY at The Black Harpoon starting at 8 p.m.
- By the Bay Jazz Trio at Rock City Cafe 5-7 p.m. Great way to start the evening. Settle in with a wine or beer and enjoy the jazz instrumental with vocals.
- Folk music by the Night Owls & Anna French at UU Church in Belfast 7 p.m. guitar, percussion, fiddle, banjo, harmonica, mandolin, can’t go wrong. Suggested donation of $8.
- Tropical Getaway! Steelin’ Thunder Steel Drum Band will be jammin’ out at the American Legion Hall in Rockland. 5-9 p.m. Boy, the folks at Pope Memorial Humane Society of Knox County sure know how to put the FUN in fund development! It’s a fundraiser with 50/50 raffel, baked goods and cash bar. Tickets are $8 at the door. There are two reasons that this is the place to be Saturday night: 1) Steel drum bands are amazing. 2) Support a good cause. 3) I love puns.
- Rusty Hinges will be performing at Savory Maine Dining & Provisions, Damariscotta, ME 6 p.m. – 8 p.m.
- So this is kind of neat. The Mehuman Trio is doing a Live CD Recording at Highlands Coffee House. The Mehuman Trio performs 6-8 p.m. Space limited so call Highlands to RSVP (354-4162) by Thursday before each session. Audience gets to vote on tracks and get listed in credits. If you missed this one, they’ll do it again March 22 and (video recording) April 5.
- Married w/ Chitlins at Monstweag Roadhouse 6-9 p.m.
- Butcher Demo at 3pm at Maine Street Meats. Free. Watch as the butcher breaks down meat into retail cuts and talks about the process. You can also sample the yummy cheese from State of Maine Cheese factory and browse all the fabulous Maine made products.
Sunday, March 23
- It’s Maine Maple Sugar Sunday!! Oh, man do I love Maine Maple Syrup. Good thing Camden-Rockport Historical Society’s Conway House Complex is celebrating Maple Syrup Sunday with live bluegrass music, blacksmithe demos, and all things maple syrup 1-4 p.m. Free. Conwayhouse.org
- Riley School is having some Maple Sugar Fun as well. Stop by from 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. to partake.
- See other listings for local Maple Syrup celebrations across Maine here and read more about the local events an the Maple Syrup world here.
- Or if you want to get some maple but you’re feeling a bit lazy, stop by Willow Bake Shoppe for some old fashioned maple donuts. If you’ve never tried their donuts, it’s about time. So good.
- Camden Library‘s book sale continues. Sunday hours are 1 – 4:30 p.m.
- Cribbage Night at 3Crow. 15% off bill to anyone playing cribbage. Game boards & cards supplied.
- Drink & Draw @ FOG 7 p.m. Wicked fun. Art materials supplied. Free to participate. I adore the cocktails there and they have happy hour drink & food specials all night.
- Smokestack in Camden has Bottomless Mimosas$6, and bottomless Bloody Marys $5 and if I were you, I’d be there.
- Pool Tourney at 2 p.m. at Time Out, cash prizes
- The Colonial Theatre in Belfast has movies playing and on Sundays and Wednesdays the Colonial does $5 movie passes. Score!
- Dinner & Wine Pairings at Cellardoor Winery, 4-6 p.m.
Monday, March 24
- Monday Night Blues at the Time Out Pub. Here’s a fun one for you dancers out there. This week it’s Samantha Fish. Admission is $15. She is young, hot & sassy. Just like me :). Also, it’s Mexican Monday at TOP and $1 cans 6 p.m. – close.
- MRC‘s stick & puck ice skating 5:30-7:30PM. Gotta wear your hockey gear.
- Open Mic Night at Fog Bar & Cafe 8:30pm
- Trivia Night at Rock Harbor. Starts at 7 p.m. No cost to play. Come around 6:30 p.m. or so, grab a stool at the bar, get some food and think of a clever team name. And get ready to lose! JK, I’ve only won once. But first, second, and third place teams get a % off their bill as a prize.
Tuesday March 25
- Open Mic Night at Rock Harbor Pub & Brewery 8:30 p.m.
- Taco Tuesday at Rollie’s means $1 Tacos. Happy Hour is 3-6.
- Taco Tuesday at 3Crow in Rockalnd. $2 tacos. Yum!
- Montseag Roadhouse has Open Mic from 7-9pm & it’s Mug Club night.
- Tuesday means it’s happy hours ALL DAY at Front Street Pub in Belfast.
- Bell the Cat in Belfast has open mic. Sign up at 5:45. Starts at 6pm.
- Trivia Night at Newcastle Publick House.
- It’s 2 for Tuesday bargains at Delvino’s! Appetizer, salads, bread, pasta entrees, & dessert for 2 people! $19.99 for lunch $29.99 for dinner.
Wednesday, March 26
- Ice Skate with the Rock Coast Rollers 3-5pm at MRC. Tickets are $5 at the door. Rent skates for $4 . Afterwards also at MRC is STICK & PUCK skating 5:10-7:10PM. Gotta have hockey gear on.
- Try a free workout class at High Mountain Hall in Camden More info here.
- Open Mic Night at The Speakeasy 8:30pm
- FREE Yoga Class at The Dancing Elephant. It’s the new Yoga studio on School St. in Rockland. Great place!! Class is 5:30-7:30pm. No experience necessary. It’s a $150 8 week class. But the first one is free. So go check it out, see the new place, meet the folks, relieve the stress, test the muscles. Early registration is appreciated by email or facebook.
- Live Music at Newcastle Publick House. 2 Holy Mackerals.
- This is your last chance to come watch Dodgeball at the Rockland Rec Center. It’s play offs tonight! It’s gonna be rugged. People have been getting more and more intense every week! Come watch as we battle for Top Dodger. 7pm. Free. Family friendly.
- Rollie’s Wing Wednesday! Happy Hours is 3 p.m. – 6p.m. Half Price drafts, well drinks, and glasses of wine. Soo many beers to choose from.
- If you get food at King Eider’s on Wednesdays you can get a movie ticket to Lincoln Theatre show for $2.00. The tickets can be used for any upcoming movies. You can check out the upcoming showings here. I have to tell you about these sorts of discounts because I don’t want you to say “Eider gone if I’d known about it!”