Happy St. Paddy’s Day, Loves! May your beer be green and your weekend be a wee bit wild.
What do you call an Irish fella trying to break up a fight?
What do you call an Irishman who keeps bouncing off of walls?
Rick O’ Shea
Are you Dublin over with laughter yet? Or are you wishin’ this lass would put a Cork in it already. Well, either way – Tanks for lookin’ at me blog. We’ve got a lot o’ fun stuff to do this weekend, to be sure. Irish you could all find a pot o’ gold. But that Saint going to happen, so get clover it!
Ok, Ok, I’m done. It’s funnier with the Irish accent… and inflection… and 10 Guinness. 😛
Before we get to this week’s listings– Please consider making a donation to my bowling team for Bowl For Kids’ Sake. This is Big Brothers Big Sisters of Mid-Maine’s annual fundraiser. It’s a great cause and the programs and the kids could really use your support.
You can learn more about me and my Little Sister and make a donation to our bowling team here. Or, to learn about how to start your own team go here. Thank you!! You can also read about me and my Lil Sis in an article from the Pen Bay Pilot here.
Okay, back to the regularly scheduled programming…
Thursday, March 13 – Make sure you check that events aren’t cancelled due to weather.
- Ladies Night at Newcastle Publick House. $6 Martini Specail, $3 Wine special. Live Music by Paul Mellyn 6:30-8:30pm.
- Karaoke Night at Cuzzy’s – Starts at 9pm in the upstairs bar. Lively. Fun. Come Thirsty.
- It’s Locals Day at Smokestack which means$1 PBR’s and $2 Off Burgers and Sandwiches.
- Family night at Trackside. Kids meals halfprice when you buy an adult meal. No, you can’t pass for under 12. Kid friendly movie. Fun!
- Eric Green will be playing music at The Speakeasy. 8-11pm No Cover.
- Ice Skating at Mid-Coast Recreation Center is 12-2pm M-F. Tuesdays and Thursday also has Public Skate 3-5pm. $5 to skate, $4 to rent skates.
- Savory Maine Organic Restaurant in Damariscotta has live music on Thursdays and Saturdays, 6-8pm. Look at their menu here. Bob White is the musician today.
- Open Mic Night at Highlands Coffee House 6-9pm every Thursday
- In Good Company is taking you on a Food Journey. Irish food this week!
Grilled Goats’ Cheese on Soda Bread with Bacon & Tomatoes
Game Broth with Potato & Herb Dumplings
Ulster Steak with Stout
Irish Curd Cheesecake
Friday March 14 – Saint Practice Day
- Ice Skating at Mid-Coast Recreation Center is 12-2pm M-F. Friday open skate 6:40-7:40pm And also Friday has Stick & Puck 3:20-5:20pm (hockey gear required!). $5 to skate, $4 to rent skates. Ice is gone April 1st, so get your booty out on the ice before it’s too late! See ya on the ice!!
- Just Teachers at Smokestack for their St. Paddy’s Day Bash. I haven’t seen these guys perform… outside of the classroom anyway. (Yep, I’m a former student of one of those fellas!) But they do sound like a lot of fun! Specials: $1 Green beer $3 Black and Tan $4 Jameson shots or on the rocks $4 Carbombs $5 Plenty of green beer, so down there and remember to wear green to get some free giveaways! No cover. 21+.
- Second City: Happily Ever Laughter at Camden Opera House. Yay I love comedy shows! I went to see stand up comics in Boston over the summer and was still telling their jokes for months afterwards. These guys are doing improv skits. Looks like a lot of fun. Show at 7:30, Cost $25, call (207) 470-7066 for tix or go to Camden Opera House website.
- Rock Harbor Pub & Brewery has Pitch Black Ribbons. I like these guys. Catchy, folky, Americana, but def a bit bluesy too. Sure to be a fun show. Give them a listen on their Reverbnation. 21+ no cover.
- Karaoke at the Myrtle St. Tavern. 9pm on.
- Live music by Tickle at Montsweag Roadhouse
- The Speakeasy has live music: Johnson and Clancy Duo will be jamming out. They are from the local band Creatures of Habit, but tonight they are going to be treat us to some favorites from the 60’s and 70’s to present day! 7-11pm & no cover.
- Open Mic @ Time Out Pub 9pm downstairs. DJ upstairs. No cover. 21+
- Draught & Draw at Waterfall Arts in Belfast, 6:30pm. You pay one price, drink and draw for a few hours with a masked live model. I don’t know what it is with all these places thinking we become more artistic after a few beers, but I like it, so I’m not going to argue. They’ll have a live model and an MC and craft beer & wine by donation. Cost: $10. Bring your own art materials. Easel and drawing horse supplied. More info here.
- Jerry Blodgett, Bertie Koller and Scott Woodruff will be playing live music at Round Top Coffee House & Open Mic hosted by Damariscotta River Association. All are wonderful Maine musicians. If you’ve never been there, it’s a fabulous music venue. So, Open Mic-ers get down there and show off. 6:30-8:30 is Open Mic. then a 15-minute break before the feature act from 8:30 to 9:30. Cost is $7. Rising Tide Community Market provides snacks, but if you bring a plate of cookies or volunteer to sell cookies you get in free. FMI: here.
- Fridays are All-U-Can-Eat Rib Night at Front St. Pub in Belfast. That’s just crazy. MmmMmm ribs. Comes with hand cut French Fries & Coleslaw! $12.99.
- Raised By Wolves at Highlands Coffee House. 7-8:30pm. No cover.
- 4 Points BBQ has some live music for you to help celebrate St. Paddy’s Day 5-8pm reservations recommended.
Saturday March 15 – Saint Paturday Day
- OK — Stop everything. The MURDER WEAPON is playing at Myrtle St. Tavern! Get ready to rock and roll, get sweaty, dance like crazy, and then rock out some more. Last time they played ’round these parts was at Billy’s Tavern (RIP Billy’s). The band was a huge hit, they played some of their new releases which I quite liked. I also saw them in Boston area this past fall. That was a fun time as well. Right, so you probably want to know what the band sounds like, huh? Psychobilly. Punk. Rock. Rockabilly. Definitely danceable. A cool fusion of musical genres. Guitar, drums, vocals, and stand up bass. I really like the vocals. 50s blues/rock (Think Elvis Presly) melodies & edgy vocals mixed with a faster punk pace. Give them a listen on Reverbnation. Or even better, you can listen to the ENTIRE new album and download it for free on BandCamp. (Check out Dead Light & The Crawl.) You’re going to want your dancing shoes for this show. Band starts around 9pm. $3 cover. 21+
- If you’re willing to travel there a lot of St. Paddy’s Day festivities happening in Portland. Check out Maine Today’s St Patrick’s Day Guide for info about Scavenger Hunt, Parade, St. Paddy’s Day Plunge (in the ocean) in Portland.
- Lots of fun stuff happening Saturday (and throughout the weekend) at Bath Blarney Days.
- Gawler Sisters with Tyler Yentes & Bennett Konesni and a Droplet Dance performance at Rockport Opera House. 6pm Cost: $15 advance, $18 at door. Benefit for Ashwood Waldorf. FMI: here.
- Food & Wine Pairing 101 – Celtic Fusion Menu with Megunticook Market at Cellardoor 2-4pm. Reservations Required. 763-4478.
- Butcher Demo at 3pm at Maine Street Meats. Free. You can watch as the butcher breaks down meat into retail cuts and talks about what he’s doing. You can also sample the yummy cheese from State of Maine Cheese factory and browse all the fabulous Maine made products.
- Farnsworth Art Museum has an St Paddy’s Day event for families, 10am to noon at the Gamble Center. Soft-pretzel treats, a free raffle, and a craft activity.
- Shipyard Party at Cappy’s Chowder House Trivia questions, giveaways, Happy Hour – $1 off draft beers, free munchies. 4-6pm Followed by the ever so talented Sam Grinnell playing Live Music at Cappy’s from 6:30-9pm. Sam plays a nice variety of songs. I was super pleased to hear him cover Brett Dennen’s “Wild Child” last time I saw him play! This will be a great event! Have you eaten at Cappy’s lately? I had a three course meal there during Maine Restaurant Week and was it was delicious!!
- Rave On is playing some rockin’ tunes at The American Legion hall in Rockland. 7-11pm. Event info here. Fun band. They’ll get you dancin’. Cover is $10 (?).
- Savory Maine Organic Restaurant in Damariscotta has live music on Thursdays and Saturdays, 6-8pm. Look at their menu here. The duo Hurry Down Sunshine will be playing jazzy, folky, and roots music.
- Peacetime Generals will be playing folk/ rock/ groove music at Rock City Coffee Cafe from 5-7pm. Event info here. Free. All ages.
- Robbie Simpson at Monstweag Roadhouse
- The derby girls are at it again! The Rock Coast Rollers take on Keene, New Hampshire’s Elm City Derby Damez in the Roller Derby Slam Rock Showdown at Point Lookout in Northport. Doors open at 5:00pm. First Whistle at 5:30pm. Tickets: Adults $10, Children (12 and under): Free. You MUST have tickets in advance. Purchase tickets here.
- Roller Derby After Party / St. Paddy’s Day Dance @ Trackside 9pm on.
- The Speakeasy has The Usual Suspects playing rock/blues music 7-11pm. No cover. Remember to see what the $5 drink special is. I love The 21st Amendment – so yummy.
- OK, OK, if you know me at all, you know I’m all about the puns… But T.O.P. has topped me with the name of their event this weekend… You’re invited to their St. Paddy’s Day Party. With a DJ. iveaways for the most festive outfits. Drink specials. The fun starts at 9pm. 21+ No cover. So go down to the Time Out Pub this Saturday night and GET LUCKY! ; )
Sunday March 16 – ThiSain’t Paddy’s Day
- St Patrick’s Day Brunch with Paddy Mills & his Irish folk music. He’s talented and fun live. Sun 10-2pm at The Bog Tavern
- Shamrock Shuffle 5k fun run on Sunday March 16 at 11am. The race starts and ends at the Newcastle Publick House. Only $5 to enter! Wear green! Get food & beer t the pub afterwards! Organized by Lincoln County Spark.
- Sweet Tree Arts Fundraiser at Hatchet Mountain Publick House noon-3pm. Hatchet Mountain Publick House has live Irish music with Rovin’ Mic O’Flynn & guests.
- Irish Music at Rock City Cafe 2-4pm
- Cribbage Night at 3Crow
- And now for something completely different…. Food Eating Contest!! Wiscasset General Store is having their hot wings contest starting at 6pm. There are prizes. It’s a competition to see who can eat the most wings. Go make us proud!
- Drink & Draw @ FOG 7pm. So much fun. Art materials supplied. Free to participate. Fabulous cocktails & food at happy hour prices all night. Amazing. So lucky to have cool, hip places in town. And it’s a lovely atmosphere for anyone, any age, any artistic ability levelThis week’s theme: Green! —
Monday, March 17 – Saint Patrick’s Day!
- Newcastle Publick House – Irish food. Drink specials. Traditional Irish Music featuring Aiden Robinson, David Stimson & Tamora Goltz, 5-8pm.
- Pitch Black Ribbons will be our live music for the evening at The Narrows Tavern to celebrate St. Paddy’s Day. Food and drink specials fit for any Irishman. Jigs and reels will have you on your heels! Come dressed in green! 7pm on.
- Saint Patrick’s Day Craft Beer Tasting at Megunticook Market 4-6pm. Just stop in, say hello, and try free samples of some of the great New Craft Beers we have in stock! Featuring New, In Stock Craft Beers:Rogue Irish Lager,Brooklyn Beers – Silver Anniversary, Local 2, Sorachi Ace, Innis & Gunn – Oloroso Cask ( 21 + )
- 2 Dollar Pistol @ Rock Harbor. No cover. But you may need to have some Guinness or an Irish Car Bomb.
- A Happy St. Patrick’s Day Celebration at The Whale’s Tooth Pub and Restaurant starting at 5.15 PM. Live Irish music and sing-a-long with the T’OMally Brothers (vocals, guitar, piano and violin). Famous Corned Beef and Cabbage Dinner. Reservations appreciated and you’re probably S.O.L. if you don’t make them: (207)789-5200
- Three Tides in Belfast is having a St. Paddy’s Party. Singing, dancing & drinking, what more do you need? 🙂
- Front Streeet Pub in Belfast has a DJ and all kinds of green drinks and fun for you starting at 9pm.
- If you feel like a drive: Danu plays traditional Irish music. That’d probably be neat. I’ll probably just enjoy a green beer. But, you might like this:
- Live music at Hatchet Mountain Publick House: Rovin’ Mick O’Flynn & Friends, 7-10. Irish food. Paddy Pints for Pachyderm fundraiser for Hope Elephants.
- Last but not least — Monday Night Blues at the good ol’ Time Out Pub! Bobby Messano 7-10pm ($10) Get out and dance!