Remember, it’s still Maine Restaurant Week through the weekend! I’m all for bargains and really, really good food.
Thursday, March 6, 2014
1. Open Mic @ Highlands Coffeehouse 7-10pm. Come early. Must be there in person to sign up.
2. Open Mic rockstar, Jeff King, to play at Rock Harbs 7:30-11:30. Also, it will be Roch Harbor’s first Thirsty Thursday Growler night, with $1 off all Growler fills and $2 off if you have a bite to eat. Bargains!
3. Bricks Restaurant will have live music performed by Chef Max Miller, Mike Miller and Rich Ruggiero. Light, relaxing, starts at 5:30. Assuming there wasn’t too much damage done in their fire on Tues..
4. It’s sad, but hockey season is wrapping up. So, you’ve got some open ice time to take advantage of over the next few weeks. Public Skate at Mid-Coast Recreation Center is 12-2pm M-F. Thursday also has Public Skate 3-5pm. $5 to skate, $4 to rent skates. Ice is gone April 1st, so get your booty out on the ice before it’s too late! I will go skate with anyone any time. Not even joking.
5. FOG Bar & Cafe is hosting Dark Side of the Rainbow with the Farnsworth Art Museum – a special screening of ‘The Wizard of Oz’ with Pink Floyd’s ‘The Dark Side of the Moon’ Album. They will be screening it several times from 6pm-12am. Free. Drink specials.
6. Karaoke Night at Cuzzy’s – Starts at 9pm in the upstairs bar.
7. In Good Company will not be doing a Food Journey this Thursday because of some renovations. They will be open for Friday’s Yappie Hour in support of Pope Memorial Humane Animal Shelter. Also, you can still make reservations for their Languedoc-Roussillion Wine Dinner wine dinner on 6pm Tuesday, March 11 featuring the wines of Domaine St. Euginie & Hervé Gantier $50 per person.
8. Family friendly music: The Berryman’s at Camden Public Library, 6pm, $8
9. It’s Locals Day at Smokestack means$1 PBR’s and $2 Off Burgers and Sandwiches.
10. Family night at Trackside. Kids meals halfprice when you buy an adult meal. No, you can’t pass for under 12. Kid friendly movie. Fun!
11. Monstweag Roadhouse has live music Steve Vellani, 6-9pm. Good day to check out their Roadhouse Challenge burger eating contest and win a T-shirt!!
12. Archer’s on the Pier has buy 1 get 1 1/2 off entrees on Tues & Thurs. And if you go for happy hr (2-6pm daily) you get 1/2 price appetizers and $3 drafts and $5 well drinks.
13. Music with dinner at The Speakeasy. The Post Man Cometh plays through dinner service 6-8pm.
Friday, March 7, 2014
1. Sogno‘s monthly Men’s Night!! First Friday of each month. 5-7:30 PM No Appointments, Just walk-in. Great Haircuts AND Beers and Wings. ALL FOR $25! Now, can someone make a women’s night with mani/pedis and wine & cheese?
2. Opening Reception & Free Wine Tasting @ Rising Tide 4-6pm.
3. FOG Bar & Cafe is hosting a French winemaker and we all get a chance to taste his exceptional wines (happy hour prices, yay bargains!) from 5-7pm.
4. Rockland Shorts at The Strand. Every year I say I want to go to this. Let’s see if I can pull it off this year!
7. The Speakeasy has Wayne Delano‘s jazz quartet. 7-10pm.
8. Cocktail Master Class with Top Mixologist Greg Bell and Seth Knowlton at Natalie’s. 2-4pm. A two hour class all about what goes in to making a great cocktail. Cost: $15 per person. You’ll get to taste the cocktails and liquor your learning about. Remember when Natalie’s mixologist Seth Knowlton was awarded Best Bartender in Maine in 2013 by Eater Maine. This will surely be a cool event. There is even a package available so you could enjoy dinner at Natalie’s, get the three course prix fixe Restaurant Week menu and then stay over night at Camden Harbor Inn. Details here
9. Midcoast Regionals hosts one act drama festival. 6-9:30There are three one-act plays per session at Oceanside High School (East), 400 Broadway, Rockland. Cost: $8; $5 Two more sessions Saturday.
10. Shanna Underwood with Devon Colella on cello at The Samoset 7pm. They’ll be there on March 8th as well.
11. Mardi Gras Celebration at Smokestack. Wear a Mardi Gras mask. I dare you. They’ll have beads and giveaways and festive drinks like: Bourbon Smash and The Stormy Hurricane. DJ Issac starts at 9:30pm.
12. The Water Dog is opening! The Ocean Canine. The Sea Puppy. The This is the new restaurant going in Billy’s Tavern location in Thomaston. I love the food & prices at Waterworks so this ought to be great. Check them out and get the story behind the restaurant’s name! Their website is here and facebook is here.
13. Karaoke at the Myrtle St. Tavern. Starts at 9pm
14. DJ at TOP starts at 9pm. No cover.
15. Exact Change jazz quartet performing at Highlands Coffee House, Thomaston, 6-9pm.
Willing to drive a bit?:
16. Belfast Flying Shoes Contra Dance, 6:30 – 11pm. They’ll start with a Community Dance for all ages led by caller Chrissy Fowler with music by The All-Comer’s Band. Cost: $2 adults, $1 children for community dance. Next it’s a finger snacks potluck at 7:30 p.m. Then 8 p.m. more dancing with guest band. All takes place at American Legion Hall Post 43, 143 Church St., Belfast. Cost: $10 older than 20, $7 age 13 to 20 and $4 for children. Anyone who brings a box fan for the windows gets a dollar discount. FMI: 338-0979 or belfastflyingshoes.org. Chem-free venue.
17. Paris Bacon’s live music at Montsweag Roadhouse, 6-9pm.
18. Eric Green @ 4Points BBQ & Blues House
19. Roosevelt Dime Steamboat Soul folk/roots music at Unity Center for Performing Arts. 8-10pm. $10. FMI: 948-7469
Saturday, March 8, 2014
1. The Crown Vics @ Myrtle St. Tavern, 9pm
2. Giant Contra Dance Birthday Benefit Bash at Rockport Opera House. 6-7pm Dinner by Cafe Miranda, Contra workshop, 7-10 dance. Cost: Dinner & dance $25, just dance at 7pm, $15. Visit event website to get tickets, sign up to volunteer, or buy raffle tix. Proceeds to cancer patient. Visit facebook event page here.
3. Shanna Underwood with Devon Colella on cello at The Samoset 7pm.
4. The Speakeasy has Shy Green 8-11pm. No cover.
5. Cabin Fevah Relievah Party at Trackside. 9pm.
6. And now for something completely different…. Cardboard Box Derby at The Snowbowl.
Willing to drive?:
7. MLC Band at the Bog 9pm
8. John Hasnip @ Monstweag Roadhhouse 6-9pm
9. Chris Ross @ 4Points BBQ & Blues House 5pm!!!!! They are advising reservations which you can do online here. Chris was just named Best Songwriter in Maine by the New England Music Awards! You can check out some more of his songs on Reverb Nation here.
10. Gawler Sisters & Bennett Konesni play acoustic folk/blues at Åarhus Gallery, 50 Main St., Belfast. 7:30-9pm. Cost: $8-$16 FMI: 338-0001.
11. Tree Tapping Demonstration 10am-noon. Free. Learn how to tap maple trees and then boil sap to make maple syrup. Aldemere Farm in Rockport. Dress warm. To register: call 236-2739 or email email@example.com
12. Local talent, Vince Gabriel, performs at The Quarry Tavern, beneath the East Wind Inn, Tenants Harbor. 5-8:30pm
13. Live CD Recording at The Highlands Coffee House. The Mehuman Trio performs. Space limited; RSVP to Highlands (354-4162) by Thursday before each session. Studio audiences vote on tracks and get listed in credits. If you missed this one, they’ll do it again March 22 and (video recording) April 5.
Sunday, March 9, 2014
I’ll add more later Sunday Funday happenings, but a few to keep in mind:
Bruins on the Big screen at Trackside!
Sunday Night’s Drink & Draw Theme will be : “Free Association Sumi ink Brain Maps”
Local singer/songwriter Vince Gabriel performs at The Quarry Tavern, beneath the East Wind Inn, 21 Mechanic St., Tenants Harbor. FMI: 372-6366.