Last week, I heard that the band at the Speakeasy was a hit. I’ll keep ya posted if he comes back to visit us again, in case you didn’t make it out to see him. Love the amount of musical talent we are seeing in this area. Go Rockland, Maine!
So, what’s up this weekend? February may be known for warm fuzzy Valentine’s Day, but I’m thinkin’ I’d rather keep things cool for now. Good thing we’ve got a lot of cool stuff happening around town. Hope you all brave the cold and get yourselves out to some of these events!
Here’s the lineup.
1. The Great Cabin Fever Show benefit for WERU features The Wiyos, The Dolphin Strikers and DJ Terry Frank at Rockport Opera House at 7:30pm Cost: $25 advance; $30 day of show, 21+. There will be a cash bar and dancing!
2. BANFF Mountain Film Fest World Tour has a screening of mountain/adventure sports and multicultural films at Strom Auditorium at Camden Hills Regional High School. Cost: $10 advance at either Maine Sport store;$12 at door; $5 student. Films run Friday & Saturday with a different batch of films each night.
3. “Urban Nature” at The Highlands Coffee Kortny Gwen Mento Art & Photography open house 6-9pm
4. Wayne Delano’s Jazz Quartet from 7pm to 10pm at The Speakeasy. Wayne and the guys do a lively set. Last time I saw him play at the Speakeasy, Wayne was playing clarinet and saxophone — at the same time!!
5. US National Toboggan Championships there are plenty of other fun events Friday, Saturday, & Sunday including: bonfire, food vendors, souvenir sales, music and skiing & snowboarding, chili challenge, mechanical bull and costume contest parade!
Check out this video of Toboggan fun from past year:
Also, check out the Down the Chute Beer & Wine Challenge 3-7pm Friday at the Taboggan Championships (snag tix in advance).
6. Toboggan Celebration at Smokestack. Drink specials all day. DJ starts at 9:30. The Toboggan Championship brings a lot of folks into town so it’s a good time to be out n about in Camden.
Why do you go to an auction? Toboggan. (To bargain)
2. Katey Branch and Deb Hensley perform at Rock City Cafe 5-7pm, Free but grab a brewski and give those musicians a tip.
Here they are in action:
Note: they don’t generally bring all the horns to Rockland 😦 and it’s not all ska music, but plenty of classics. Their song list can be found here so you know what to request when you come out to boogie.
4. Music & fun at Cappy’s Chowder House 6-9pm for their Toboggan Party! If you haven’t seen Cappy’s new upstairs bar since their expansion, now’s the time!
5. Open Mic at Time Out Pub – Downstairs! These actually are surprisingly fun.
6. Two Dollar Pistol starts rockin’ at 9:30 at the good ol’ Smokestack in Camden.
7. Trackside Station has DJ VJ & a Jameson Promo to help celebrate the Toboggan weekend.
8. The Coloradas are playing at The Speakeasy. This is really, really upsetting. Because if you know me at all, you know I love dancing my heart out every time Hello Newman comes to town, but now I’m faced with a big decision…
I’m just going to have to go to The Speakeasy to see these guys! The Coloradas are playing lively folk/bluegrass/country. Heartfelt songs. I’m already in love. Listen here or on Spotify. Great sound. Great rhythm (I dig the faster songs, check out “Misery”). Great Lyrics, e.g., “This isn’t love, Natalie, until I leave you… my key.” This is my pick for what not to miss this weekend. But we all know I have a weakness for country boys singing folk tunes. Here’s a teaser for you:
9. Maine Street Meats will be having a FREE wine tasting from 12-2, Saturday 2/8/14. Great for foodies! Warm up with some wine and then sample the cheese made right there at the State of Maine Cheese Factory. Great gift shop, if you’ve never been. And then at 3pm there will be a butchery demo. I went to one of these before and it’s pretty neat to see. This time a whole lamb. Sean will break down a whole lamb from North Star Farms into familiar retail cuts. Also FREE.
Who knew this touristy, sea-side town could have so many options for live music and fun events in one February weekend!? What’s a girl to do? Hope you all find something fun to check out. Post to let us know if we are missing any other events.